Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Bookworm Wednesday - Videohound's Cult Flicks and Trash Pics!

Hell-o, foul fiends! I'm making this blog a rather quick one since I have tons of exciting work going on over here. Yes, I've begun diving into my work on issue #3 of Evilspeak. I don't have a lot of free time this week to do much blogging, and I regrettably had to miss out on yesterday's TV Terror Tuesday, but the magazine is top priority and as the final touches are being on issue #2, we've [obviously] moved on to #3.

So, with that said, welcome to this week's "Bookworm Wednesday" where I will be talking a little about the thick as fuck, heavy-duty book Videohound's Cult Flicks and Trash Pics by Carol A. Schwartz and Jim Olenski and a foreward by Bruce Campbell. I bought this book while I was working at Blockbuster Video sometime in either 2002 or 2003 and that was the perfect time to pick it up because it pointed me in the right direction on a lot of films. Considering that I had employment at Blockbuster, I had a nice advantage of special ordering movies AND the luxury of a decent discount.

This hefty book rounds up to 872 pages and weighs a TON! Okay, it barely weighs four pounds, but it feels as if you could kill someone with it...and you probably could if you were to drop it off a tall building. I digress. The point is, it's not short of any info on cult flicks, exploitation films, horror movies, and sprinkled in are some mainstream movies which you may be shocked to see made it in. John Hughes' Sixteen Candles for example. I was disappointed that there was a nice salute to Linda Blair but NO coverage of Savage Streets. I mean, wouldn't this book be perfect opportunity to review this film? Oh well, as we all know, nothing is perfect, but sometimes the obvious stuff makes us question things even just for a little while.

There are flaws, there are perfections, there are things that make you go "hmmm?"; but if you like your women, milkshakes, and books thick, then this book is for you! Once you pick it up, you can't put it down. That is the magic with these types of books; it causes a chain-reaction and before you know it you'll be looking to see if certain movies are in the book, or the opposite - you'll be hunting the movies themselves down. So pick this one up if you're ever in need of an almost complete encyclopedia on trashy cinema. And hey, an image of Divine from John Waters' Pink Flamingos made the cover as well as the trademark image from David Lynch's Eraserhead. SOLD! Well, it worked for me at least.

BUY THE DAMN THING! I did...!

No comments:

Post a Comment